UPDATE: The driver involved in a hit-and-run accident between a vehicle and a horse in Boonville on Monday has been located and issued several tickets, according to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office.
On Monday, a 2011 Chevy Cruze struck a horse on State Route 26 in Boonville that was being ridden by Cynthia Porter. The driver, now identified as 61-year-old David Longway of Boonville, was located in Boonville by sheriff’s deputies.
Longway told deputies that he didn’t think the horse or Porter were hurt badly, so he did not report the incident. He said he also didn’t know the police were responding, which is why he did not wait at the scene.
After the accident the Sheriff’s Office reported that Porter was not injured, but deputies say she contacted the Sheriff’s Office Tuesday morning to report she was seeking medical attention at Rome Memorial Hospital for back, shoulder and head pain. She said she woke up with the pain on Tuesday morning.
Longway was issued four tickets for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, failure to use due care when approaching a horse, leaving the scene of an animal accident and failure to maintain lane. He’s scheduled to appear in Boonville Town Court later this month to answer the charges.
BOONVILLE, N.Y. – Authorities in northern Oneida County are investigating a hit and run involving an SUV and a horse.
The crash happened on Route 46 in the Town of Boonville. The sheriff’s department said a gray 2011 Chevy Cruze hit a horse being ridden by Cynthia Porter. Porter was the lead horse in a file formation with another horse that was not in the accident.
Authorities said the horses were traveling south off the west shoulder of Route 46.
Witnesses said the Chevy Cruze was also traveling south, but left its lane missing the rear horse, but striking Porter's horse in the side. The Chevy Cruze then left the scene, but returned shortly after a bystander chased him down. The Chevy Cruze then left the scene before law enforcement could arrive.
Porter was not hurt, but the horse was being treated by a veterinarian.
The sheriff's office is still investigating the incident.
- UPDATE: Driver involved in Boonville hit-and-run between horse, car issued tickets
- Megamillions ticket worth $3,000,000 sold in Boonville
- SUV and car collide in Boonville crash
- Boonville Snowfest Postponed
- Motorcycle strikes car in town of Western; no tickets issued
- State police identify and ticket driver in Newport horse and buggy crash
- 2 injured in car-deer crash in Boonville
- Boonville woman accused of failing to properly care for miniature horses
- UPDATE:Accident in Boonville shuts down Route 12 for hours
- UPDATE: 1 adult, 4 children hospitalized following Boonville crash