UTICA, N.Y. -- Shovels went into the ground Thursday at TR Proctor Park for construction of the "Sal Longo Field."
The $2.5 million stadium-style field will feature turf-grass, lights, bleachers, a scoreboard, a sound system and a press box.
It'll serve as a multi-purpose host for recreational sporting events.
A $1 million donation came from its namesake Sal Longo.
“I just hope that the addition of this field to the park will just enhance all the opportunities I had growing up and enjoying this park and the time that we spent here and I hope the future administrations continue to take care of the park,” said Longo.
Money also came from the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation, the city of Utica, and the Community Foundation of Herkimer and Oneida Counties.
And there was state money secured by assemblywoman Marianne Buttenschon and Senator Joe Griffo.
- Sal Longo Field construction begins at Utica's TR Proctor Park
- New Sal Longo Field opens at Proctor Park
- Sal Longo Field up and Running!
- New field under construction at Utica's Seymour Park
- Proctor High School athletic field renovations underway
- Utica police will be regularly patrolling Proctor Park
- Veterans Day Run at Proctor Park
- Bridge restoration project completed in Proctor Park
- Palmieri announces new athletic field to be built at Proctor Park this fall
- Construction on new visitor center begins along Utica's Memorial Parkway