SARANAC LAKE, N.Y. (AP) - The Adirondack Mountain village of Saranac Lake got a taste of snowshoe racing early this year and now has created its own event.
The Adirondack Snowshoe Fest is set for late February as the area tries to promote its brand to boost local tourism a year after it hosted the 2017 World Snowshoe Championships.
That event attracted more than 400 competitors from over 15 nations, even though it was nearly canceled because of warm weather.
Adirondack Snowshoe Fest organizers are putting together a two-day weekend event package in hopes that many participants will decide to stay overnight. The festival will feature a series of races for all skill levels plus entertainment options.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Saranac Lake to host snowshoe festival
- Saranac Lake wins Cuomo's $10M downtown redevelopment prize
- Lineup announced for 2018 Saranac Thursdays
- Saranac Brewery fire: 10 years later
- WKTV participates in Saranac Thursdays media night
- Brewery kicks off 20th year of Saranac Thursdays tonight
- Saranac fundraiser at 1888 Tavern to help California wildfire victims
- Last year's Saranac Thursday total is breaking records
- Saranac ranked among top 50 breweries in the country
- Interested in volunteering at this year's Saranac Thursdays?