SODUS, N.Y. (AP) - Schools are closed in an upstate New York town as police continue to search for the suspect in a double fatal shooting.
Authorities say the shooting happened Monday afternoon outside a home in Sodus, on Lake Ontario about 25 miles (40 kilometers) east of Rochester.
A witness told police the suspect walked up to a car and shot and killed the female driver. The suspect then shot and killed a man nearby.
The Wayne County Sheriff's Office says the suspect was spotted running through the backyard of a home near the shooting scene wearing a dark hoodie and a green hat.
Police are not releasing the names of the victims until their next-of-kin is notified.
Authorities say the victims knew each other, but have declined to divulge details of their relationship.
- Schools close in Sodus as police search for suspect in double slaying
- Officials to double-check school safety plans
- State police searching for larceny suspect following high speed chase
- Police searching for Utica homicide suspect's 90-year-old grandmother
- Oneonta arson, murder suspect arrested following police search
- Utica police looking for cell phone linked to double murder suspect
- Prosecutor: Chili's double homicide suspect sought to kill 2 more
- Defendants in slaying of 4 in Troy back to jail
- Government probing 'new information' in Emmett Till slaying
- NY inmate-artist freed after being cleared of 1991 slaying