SCHUYLER, N.Y. --- A week after flooding devastated parts of Herkimer and Oneida Counties. A family of seven in Schuyler speaks to NEWSChannel 2 about the night the flooding destroyed their home and their rescue by first responders.
Robert and Dawn Wasyleski's 4 children and 80-year-old mother in law were forced to climb to the roof in the wind and rain as water rushed through their single-story home.
"My son was sitting on the edge of the roof next to the ladder that my mother-in-law and husband were on because he didn't want the ladder to go over because obviously between the wind and the rain he was afraid the ladder was going to tip and he could hear her grandmother who was scared because she almost drowned before," said Dawn Wasyleski.
After three and a half hours of waiting, the Schuyler fire department rescued the family by boat. But the damage to the house was catastrophic, and now they are seeking help from their local government.
"We want as much help as we can get. We hope our government can help us out a bit, county state and federal wide. I know they are having a lot of issues in the Whitesboro area. The people I know up there are just devastated and this is just terrible," said Robert Wasyleski.
Dawn and Robert said their family is staying with relatives in the area. They also said the land has been in their family for decades and they do plan on rebuilding.
- Schuyler family of seven recounts being rescued from roof during flooding
- Schuyler family displaced after house fire on Route 5
- Neighbors rescue man from roof of house fire in Ilion
- Aluminum benches stolen from a Schuyler playground
- Mug Club: Schuyler Lake Truck Pulls
- Cars and corn highlight annual Schuyler event
- Frankfort-Schuyler star signs NLI with Herkimer
- Amtrak : Why a stop in Schuyler?
- Two-car accident in Schuyler under investigation
- Mug Club: Frankfort-Schuyler Craft & Vendor Fair