SCHUYLER – Surveys show a majority of property owners in East Schuyler are in support of creating a water district with the village of Ilion.
Town officials say a water line extension could give East Schuyler access to public water,
and in the process, help fix Ilion’s ongoing water problems.
Schuyler town officials sent out surveys to property owners who would be affected by the water line extension running through the town, all the way to Ilion. After receiving 128 surveys back, town officials say 88 people are interested in having public water, while 40 people say they are not interested.
Now that Schuyler residents have shown interest in the water line extension, there will be an official ballot vote in November for residents to decide if they want to create a water district with Ilion.
Next, engineers for the project will apply for grants and try to figure out how much the project will cost property owners. Town officials say if the project goes through, they’re hoping to have public water within the next 2-3 years.
"Schuyler's project is totally depending on Ilion and if they go through with their water line extension,” said Schuyler Town Supervisor Anthony Lucenti. “One of the things the town board wanted to do was give the property owners in the district the say in whether they wanted this or not because they would have to retire a 30-year bond, making a yearly payment."
"I think the water project would be fantastic, and as they said you have the option,” said Schuyler resident Robert Wasyleski. “You can hook up or not hook up. that's the bottom line."
Town officials say a benefit to the water line extension is that there would be fire hydrants in the town that could help with fighting fires, and it could be a relief for residents who have issues with their well water.
Lucenti says the town board is planning to have an informational meeting next month for people in the proposed water district to ask questions about the project.
Newschannel 2 reached out to Ilion Mayor Brian Lamica for comment but have not yet heard back.
- Schuyler town officials discuss next steps in proposed water district
- State officials discuss Utica-Schuyler portion of Empire State Trail
- Mug Club: Town of Schuyler 20th Annual Car Show
- Water line extension running through Schuyler could improve Ilion water issues
- Police: Scammers in Schuyler area posing as town workers to burglarize homes
- Aluminum benches stolen from a Schuyler playground
- Mug Club: Schuyler Lake Truck Pulls
- Cars and corn highlight annual Schuyler event
- Frankfort-Schuyler star signs NLI with Herkimer
- Amtrak : Why a stop in Schuyler?