SODUS, N.Y. (AP) - Police in western New York are searching for a 14-month-old boy after his mother's body was found in a bag hidden in the woods.
The Wayne County Sheriff's office said 18-year-old Selena Hidalgo-Calderon's body was found Thursday at a farm in Sodus where she reportedly had worked. She had been missing for a week.
Her boyfriend, Everardo Reyes, was arrested on charges of tampering with physical evidence.
Police say the child, 14-month-old Owen Hidalgo-Calderon, has not been found. Police were to continue searching the area east of Rochester on Friday.
An Amber Alert was issued Friday morning. Owen Hidalgo-Calderon is described as being a Hispanic male, 2 feet tall, weighing 30 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.
According to the alert, he is known to be in need of asthma medication, and it’s unknown what he was last seen wearing.
Rebecca Fuentes of the Workers' Center of Central New York told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle that Hidalgo-Calderon was from Guatemala and was being deported. She says the mother was in the process of applying for asylum.
— AMBER Alert (@AMBERAlert) May 25, 2018
- Amber Alert for 14-month-old toddler after mother's body found
- Amber Alert cancelled for missing toddler, search continues
- UPDATE: Missing baby from Amber Alert found safe
- Amber Alert canceled; missing 14-year-old girl found safe
- Missing Rochester 14-year-old girl found, Amber Alert canceled
- Amber Alert for Ogdensburg teen cancelled
- Search for missing toddler ends after mother found dead
- UPDATE: AMBER Alert canceled for 12-year-old Washington County girl
- From local PD's desk, to your cell phone; what qualifies as an Amber Alert
- Missing Dolgeville Man's body found in Fairfield