UPDATE: West Main Street in Little Falls between Lock Street and Gun Club Road has fully reopened in both directions, according to state DOT officials.
That section of the street was closed following an explosion and fire on Wednesday afternoon, and it partially reopened Thursday.
Little Falls police officials confirmed Thursday that the cause of the explosion was an accidental gas leak.
LITTLE FALLS – A section of West Main Street in Little Falls has partially reopened Thursday following an explosion and fire on Wednesday afternoon.
One lane of West Main Street between Lock Street and Gun Club Road has reopened, with traffic alternating both ways. State Department of Transportation officials say it's unknown when the road will fully reopen.
Around 2 p.m. Wednesday, an explosion occurred at a house in the 300 block of West Main Street, causing a fire that spread to two nearby houses. Neighbors in the area reported that their windows had been blown out, and people as far away as Ilion and St. Johnsville felt the ground shake from the explosion.
National Grid confirmed Thursday morning that with the exception of the three homes that caught fire, all power has been restored to homes in the area.
Fire officials say the cause of the explosion is currently under investigation, and it’s too early to tell.
Three people were injured in the explosion and fire, but Little Falls Fire Chief Robert Parese could not confirm the extent of their injuries. A cat and dog also died in the house where the initial explosion occurred.
We will provide more information as it becomes available. Tune into NEWSChannel 2 at Noon for a live update from Little Falls.
- UPDATE: West Main Street in Little Falls fully reopens
- Cleanup starts on West Main Street following Little Falls explosion
- West Utica streets reopened after propane leak
- UPDATE: Otsego Street in Ilion reopened
- UPDATE: Route 167 in Little Falls reopened
- Water main break repaired on Albany Street in Little Falls
- UPDATE: Crews remain on scene of Little Falls fire; section of West Main St. closed
- UPDATE: Water restored in Sauquoit following Mohawk Street main break
- Union Station celebrates Christmas on Main Street
- UPDATE: State Route 5S reopened between Herkimer, Little Falls