UTICA- Seymour Pool in North Utica kicked off its opening weekend by welcoming over 100 swimmers from across the Utica area. If you’re wondering why such as high number, well yes the heat but also the closure of two Utica public pools.
“As you know Addison Pool and Buckley are under construction,” said Chet LoConti, Assistant Recreations Director for the City of Utica. “So this is the only pool which is open.”
In compensation for the other two pools being closed for swimming, the City of Utica will transport kids via bus to Seymour for the time being.
“The dates and times of the pickups will be 12:30 p.m. Wednesday and Friday,” said LoConti. “And they will be picked up and dropped off to their area pool.”
Among all the activity at Seymour, this afternoon was the Utica Police Department. The community outreach department was in attendance providing hot dogs to the kids.
“They are sometimes a little shy when they see a police officer,” said Jimmy Dongsavanh, Community Outreach Officer of the Utica Police Department. “And it’s maybe they haven't seen one of our pop up barbecue yet.”
According to the Utica Police, the idea of a community outreach officer is to bridge the gap between the community and law enforcement. On Friday, they did just that by providing over 200 hot dogs to hungry swimmers, leaving families and everyone happy.
“You know they see this and [the kids] are excited to see the police officers,” said Joann Velardi, of Utica. “And then they get handed a hotdog so that definitely changes their outlook on police officers.”
This is just one of many events the Utica Police Department puts on for the community.
- Seymour Pool Welcomes Swimmers and Utica Police
- Utica police welcome first-ever Karen officer
- Utica Welcomes UFC Fight Night
- Man in critical condition after being shot twice on Seymour Ave in Utica
- Utica Zoo welcomes visitors free of charge
- Utica welcomes 22 new American citizens
- Utica to upgrade its parks and pools this spring
- City of Utica and Rome Pools Open for the Season
- Addison Miller Pool in Utica opens Monday afternoon
- Westmoreland Pool Fundraiser