UTICA, N.Y. – Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol has officially endorsed Republican incumbent county executive, Anthony Picente, for re-election.
Maciol, a Democrat, says he supports Picente, regardless of party affiliation because he believes Picente is the best person for the job.
“There's no easier choice for me to make than to endorse Anthony Picente for county executive. He has been there the past nine years I've been sheriff,” said Maciol, adding that Picente has assisted with, “any initiative that I've needed his support on -- equipment upgrades, recruitment efforts."
After working together for nearly a decade, both men agree that the being in opposing political parties does not affect their ability to work together efficiently.
“It really is a great honor because he's the sheriff of Oneida County and the party politics is something that, in my administration, has never been a factor because we have a job to do," added Picente.
Picente is facing Democratic candidate Michael Hennessy in this year’s county executive race.
- Sheriff Maciol endorses Picente for re-election
- Oneida County Sheriff Rob Maciol announces re-election bid
- Sheriff Maciol on new gun laws
- Picente declares 'Sheriff's Week' in Oneida County
- Maciol elected to work closely with sheriffs across New York state
- Maciol elected to executive committee of New York State Sheriffs' Association
- Sheriff Rob Maciol talks snowmobile safety as winter weather arrives
- NewsTalk: Sheriff Maciol talks New Year's Eve safety
- Sheriff Maciol : Counting of absentee ballots could take days
- Sheriff Maciol shares 12 Christmas safety tips this holiday season