SHERRILL, N.Y. --Sherrill Police officer James Brown has resigned his position from the department. The Oneida County Sheriff's office telling NEWSChannel 2 that he was the responding officer for the shots fired incident.
The Sheriff's department stating that their investigators found no evidence supporting Brown's claim that a suspect fired a shot towards him.
Sheriff Maciol going as far as saying he believes nothing happened.
Brown did investigate an open shed door on Thurston Terrace early that morning, but investigators have no evidence supporting anything that happened after that.
Countless resources were deployed as part of the search for the suspect, which could be a significant cost to the county.
"We've pretty much given all of our efforts into this. Because obviously it's a serious situation when an officer is shot at. People in the neighborhood are not feeling safe. A very quiet community is now on the edge of their seats, we were trying to do everything that we could to bring closure to the case. I can't put a number on it, but you are looking at a regional SWAT team that was deployed throughout the county. All members of the SWAT team community are coming in on overtime. You are deploying pieces of equipment, there were two bearcats on the scene, they are very expensive pieces of equipment. A helicopter from 50 miles away deployed with pilots and fuel," said Sheriff Maciol.
Brown who is a Criminal Justice professor at Utica College still believes that something happened early Saturday morning. The college providing us a statement saying,
"We are reviewing the facts as they concern Utica College. In the meantime, out of respect for the police investigation, and fairness to all parties, we cannot comment further at this time," Kelly Adams, VP for Marketing Communications.
The investigation has concluded, but the case has been forwarded to the Oneida County District Attorney's Office.
- Sherrill Police Officer resigns following shots fired investigation
- UPDATE: NEWSChannel 2 confirms name of Sherrill officer who resigned after shots fired investigation
- New documentary to feature Sherrill police officers
- UPDATE: Suspect shoots at Sherrill police officer during chase
- Police continue to search for Sherrill Suspect
- Vacant house gutted by fire in Sherrill
- Mug Club: Sherrill Quilt Show
- Utica Police investigating a shots fired incident
- Rogue horse and pony captured in Sherrill
- Vernon-Verona-Sherrill students host maple breakfast