COOPERSTOWN, NY-- Mom-and-pop stores throughout the region are preparing for Small Business Saturday, the day after Black Friday, a fairly recent tradition that promotes shopping at independent, locally-owned, one-of-a-shops.
"They’re fun to look into, we get to talk to the owners usually who are working in the shops and the staff," said Louise Vanderwerff, of Southport, North Carolina, who visiting the Cooperstown area. "A lot of times they have things you will not find it in any department store, it’s a picture postcard, it's lovely to shop and walk around where there are small businesses."
Lori Fink, owner of the Tin Bin Alley on Main Street in Cooperstown, said she hopes to give customers extra incentive to support Small Business Saturday by offering discounts and deals.
"We’re going to have discounts throughout the store, large discounts," she said. "We have surprise free merchandise. I want to bring back the old fashion Christmas, so we have cookie jars, we have cookies giving plates and a of huge assortment of candy."
Last year 112 million shoppers spent money at local stores across the country, according to American Express, the company behind the shopping holiday founded in 2010.
"It’s important because the tax dollars stay within the county," said Matt Hazzard, executive director of the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce. "It’s important to not just to take care of your friends, but also your neighbors, these are people that really support the local economy, through employment, through the taxbase and they’re providing them service that others couldn't. We understand that shopping online and shopping at some of the big box stores might be very convenient... but it’s also important to try to keep entrepreneurs dreams alive and also be able to support them in their endeavors."
- Small Business Saturday promotes shopping local
- Rome mayor says to shop local for Small Business Saturday
- Small Business Saturday: Dept. of Labor encouraging you to shop local
- The Importance of Small Business Saturday
- Small Business Saturday draws shoppers to the New Hartford Shopping Center
- Small Business Saturday has become a big day for small business owners
- Small Business Saturday helps shed light on these difficult days for small business owners to compete
- Local officials push for Small Business Disaster Grant Program
- New York officials promote local Christmas trees
- Local fire officials promote dorm safety