ROME, N.Y. -- The Rome YMCA closed unexpectedly Thursday afternoon after a small fire broke out in a workout room.
YMCA Director Bruce Hairston says there were only a few people in the building when the fire started in a light fixture, which was likely caused by the wiring.
Hairston says flames were falling from the light onto the equipment, and the staff tried to put it out before pulling the alarm.
“He started putting the fire out on the floor part because he didn't think the extinguisher would reach the top part. The director of maintenance and I went up there, grabbed a couple extinguishers; pulled the fire alarm when we realized it was something we couldn't manage,” said Hairston.
He said eventually the workers shot the fire extinguisher as high as they could and put out the fire.
It’s not yet clear if the YMCA will reopen Friday because of the low air quality in parts of the building due to the fire.