Smoke detectors may have saved family of five in Sauquoit

Family of five escapes burning home in Sauquoit

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 2:49 PM
Updated: Oct 13, 2019 9:46 PM

Sauquoit, N.Y. - Sauquoit Assistant Fire Chief Bill Farley says smoke detectors were going off when firefighters arrived at a mobile home fire Sunday morning. Luckily the family of five all escaped unharmed by the time firefighters arrived.

It happened around 7:00 A.M. Sunday morning at the K & B Mobile Manor Mobile Home Park on Campbell Road in Sauquoit.

Initial reports were that everyone made it out of the structure, except for the family's pets.

Assistant Chief Farley says besides two adults and their three children, the family's dog also made it out safely, but the family's cat perished in the fire.

Farley says there was heavy smoke and some flames coming through the roof and the rear of the building when firefighters got there.

He also says it took some extra work to get water to the fire, "There's a bridge just in front of our engine that we didn't go over  because we didn't know if it would be able to hold our engine so we had to stretch extra lines to the house.

Farley says it appears the home may be a total loss and says the fire remains under investigation by his department.

Article Comments

Utica
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 45° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 32°
Oneonta
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 44° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 33°
Herkimer
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 45° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 32°
Thendara
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 39° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 32°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
Click here to learn more about A Healthier Mohawk Valley
Enter the New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss VIP Package Giveaway!
Thanksgiving Sweepstakes
Home Free Contest
Flood Coverage
Castlewood Food Vouchers 50% off Now thru November 21