New York state will suspend some temporary lane closures and road construction projects on highways during peak travel times this holiday season.
The suspension will be in effect from 6 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 24, to 6 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 26, and again from 6 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31 through 6 a.m., Thursday Jan. 2.
"Many families will be traveling over the holidays and we want everyone to arrive at their destinations safely and without any major delay,” said Gov. Andrew Cuomo. "To help ease traffic, we are suspending construction on state roads during peak holiday travel days. Drivers should utilize the many text stops, rest areas and service areas across the state, and always drive sober to help make this a happy, safe holiday season."
There will be slight variations for certain Thruway projects based on previous traffic volume. A detailed schedule of Thruway lane closures throughout the holiday weekend is available on the Thruway Authority page of the New York state website.
- Some construction projects will be suspended to accommodate holiday travel
- Construction-related lane closures suspended for holidays in NY
- Coronavirus and construction projects
- Holiday travel forecast
- Accommodations are scarce ahead of induction weekend in Cooperstown
- Chanatry's makes special accommodations for seniors amid coronavirus crisis
- Roadwork suspended for upcoming holiday weekend
- Winter weather to impact holiday travel plans
- How to travel smart this Holiday season.
- President Trump suspending all travel between the U.S. and Europe