ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The "Son of Sam" serial killer who terrorized New York City 40 years ago is in the hospital.
New York state prison officials say Tuesday that 64-year-old David Berkowitz was transferred to a hospital from the upstate maximum-security prison where he is serving a life sentence.
Officials would not comment on why he was in the hospital, but the New York Post and the Times-Union of Albany reported that he was transferred to undergo heart surgery.
Berkowitz, who called himself "Son of Sam," set the city on edge with late-night shootings that killed six people and wounded seven. He primarily targeted young women sitting in cars before his arrest Aug. 10, 1977.
Berkowitz now says he is a born-again Christian and is "very sorry for what happened."
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 'Son of Sam' killer hospitalized for reported heart ailment
- Kids Heart Challenge postponed
- Newstalk: Kids Heart Challenge
- Early morning accident in Deerfield sends father & son to hospital
- NewsTalk: Nutritionist Kim Ross talks heart health
- WKTV Heart Telethon: Call now to donate!
- 30K Heart Run kicks off in Barneveld
- WKTV Heart Telethon: Call 1-866-374-9588 to donate!
- Participants refuel following Heart Run and Walk
- NEWSTALK: Pour Your Heart Out event