SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - Madison Guebert scored 18 of her 20 points on 3-pointers, including two critical 3s in the fourth quarter, to lead No. 6 seed South Dakota State to a 75-64 win over third-seeded Syracuse on Monday night in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
The victory sends the Jackrabbits (28-6) to the Sweet 16 for the first time in program history. They will face No. 2 Oregon on Friday in the regional semifinals in Portland, Oregon.
Guebert had 14 of her points in the second half. Myah Selland added 17 for South Dakota State, Macy Miller had 11, and Paiton Burckhard 10.
Tiana Mangakahia led Syracuse (25-9) with 18 points. Kiara Lewis had 13.
Syracuse shot 10 of 16 in the first quarter but hit just 16 of 48 the rest of the way.
The Orange defense forced three consecutive turnovers and Syracuse scored 10 straight points to open the fourth quarter to take a 57-53 lead with 7:23 to go. Miranda Drummond scored four points during the run.
A lay-in by Tagyn Larson tied the game at 57 with 6:13 remaining. With the game tied at 59, Mangakahia hit a corner 3 to give the Orange a 62-59 lead with 4:50 to go, but the Jackrabbits scored 12 straight points, six on consecutive 3s by Guebert, to take a 71-62 lead with less than a minute remaining.
The Orange scored just two points in the final 4:50.
South Dakota State: The Jackrabbits have one of the longest winning streak in the nation at 18 and their fans and support are impressive. While Miller is key, the rest of the lineup is capable of big contributions just as they did against the Orange.
Syracuse: The Orange missed several shots in the closing two minutes with the game on the line, squandering the chance for a late rally. Mangakahia has one more year of eligibility, but she could opt to turn pro. That would leave a big void, though coach Quentin Hillsman still has a strong roster that had the Orange ranked in the top 15 at the end of the regular season.
South Dakota State plays No. 2 Oregon on Friday in the regional semifinals in Portland, Oregon.
- South Dakota State beats Syracuse 75-64, reaches Sweet 16
- 11-seed Syracuse headed to Sweet 16 after beating Michigan State
- The matchup: Syracuse vs. Duke in the Sweet 16
- Brissett scores 20, No. 16 Syracuse beats E. Washington 66-34
- What will it cost to you to join Syracuse at the Sweet 16 in Omaha
- Top ranked Duke beats Syracuse
- Syracuse beats Florida State 30-7 behind backup QB
- Mann scores 22, No. 22 Florida State beats Syracuse 80-62
- Syracuse beats Maryland 72-70 to remain unbeaten
- No. 22 Syracuse beats Wake Forest 41-24