New Hartford, N.Y. - The New Hartford Spartans boys lacrosse team defeated rival Whitesboro on Tuesday in order to capture their sixth straight Sparrior Cup.
With that win, the team also won the program's 46th straight Tri-Valley League contest.
The team is 8-5 this season, 5-0 in league play. They have been known for being in offensive powerhouse in the past, but this year, they've been relying more heavily on their defensive play.
It's been half a decade since the Spartans last lost a TVL game, which indicates the consistency that the program has tried to instill.
"I think it's good for these kids to learn," said Spartans head coach, Dan Pope. "We've got a target on our back in the league and we're going to get everybody's best shot."
It's a streak that began before the players on this year's team were on the varsity roster, and it's a tradition that the current team is motivated and proud to carry on.
"It's a lot of pressure," said senior defender, Liam Ronan. "Just being able to build off [what the program has accomplished in the past] is amazing."
The Spartans look to push the streak to 47 straight games when they take on VVS on Thursday.
- Spartans' local supremacy continues with 46th straight league victory
- Spartans kicker proving she's one of the best in the league
- Mirza takes reins of Spartans offense
- Comets drop eighth straight as playoff hopes continue to fade
- Comets win third straight of Galaxy Cup series with high-scoring victory over Crunch
- Local summer soccer team has generous path to league final
- Sports Express Wrap: Clinton defends home ice against rival Spartans, Utica earns huge league point over Elmira, Holland Patent hands Cooperstown first loss of the season in boys basketball
- Sports Express Wrap: Comets top Devils for third straight win, state-ranked Cooperstown remains unbeaten, West Canada edges Frankfort in league matchup
- Kaia Henderson tops 1,000 points mark in Spartans' win, Hamilton edges Oriskany and Whitesboro remains undefeated in TVL
- Herkimer College softball team continues to dominate: Generals punch their ticket to nationals after winning 8th straight region championship