ROME, N.Y. -- Two state lawmakers, one a seasoned veteran, the other preparing to serve her first term, attended a fun swearing-in ceremony that incorporated our area youth.
State Senator Joe Griffo, and Assemblywoman Marianne Buttenschon took questions from students at Staley Elementary School in Rome.
Buttenschon, an educator and perpetual student at heart, enjoyed the questions from the youngest students and hopes they continue to stay interested.
“Ideas for laws and policies come from young individuals so if they can stay engaged, and be a part of this. We just hope they continue with it and Staley is a community school and as a community school, they are that hub that brings people together. So this is just another example,” she said.
Buttenschon, a lifelong resident of Oneida County, and a Democrat became a member of the majority party in the state government representing the 119th District.
Also at Staley was state Senator Joe Griffo was sworn in for his seventh term.
His mother was holding the Bible as he recited the oath in front of students. The senator says he enjoys interacting with the kids.
And when asked what the dynamic will be in Albany now that the Democrats have the upper hand in state government, he had this to say:
“It’s gonna be more challenging and I have some good relationships and developed mutual respect. I will do my best to be an advocate for our region but for issues that are important overall, but partially upstate.”
Griffo goes on to say he is looking forward to working with Assemblywoman Buttenschon to better our region.
- Staley students help 'swear in' Griffo, Buttenschon in Rome
- Griffo, Buttenschon visit correctional facilities to hear staff concerns
- Griffo, Buttenschon announce plan to address doctor shortage
- Rome's Staley Elementary School closed Thursday and Friday
- Griffo secures funding for Rome PD's new mobile command center
- Assemblywoman Buttenschon hosts Whitesboro town hall
- Rome Fire Department swears in new officers and firefighters
- Buttenschon unoffical winner of 119th Assembly District race
- Marianne Buttenschon sworn in as 119th district assemblywoman