Hempstead, N.Y. - New York State Police say the 15 year old girl who was behind the wheel of a stolen SUV that crashed Friday morning on Long Island, killing three of the ten people inside the vehicle, has now been charged with three counts of manslaughter and three counts of criminally negligent homicide.
State Police say 15 year old Cindy Sanchez of Uniondale was driving a stolen 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer with a total of nine other people inside when she apparently lost control, crashed and rolled over, ending up in the marshland on the side of the Meadowbrook State Parkway in Hempstead at 11:42 a.m. on Friday.
Police have identified the three teenagers who died. They are 16 year old Herbert Leo Aviles Maravilla, 15 year old Marlon Carbajal, and 13 year old David Sanchez, all of Uniondale.
The remaining occupants; Diego Aviles Maravilla, age 15, Mayela Flores, age 15, Kevin Robles, age 16, Lisbeth Menjivar, age 16, Walter Ochoa, age 17, and Gael Sanchez, age 18 months, all of Uniondale, suffered minor injuries.
Police say the preliminary investigation has determined that excessive speed was a contributing factor in the crash.
15 year old Cindy Sanchez is scheduled to be arraigned in Nassau County Family Court on Monday.
Police say the investigation is still ongoing. Anyone who may have witnessed the operation of vehicle and/or the accident is asked to contact the New York State Police at (631) 756-3300. Police say all calls will be kept confidential.
- State Police : 15 year old girl charged with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide
- Conley gets 23 years for manslaughter
- Woman charged with vehicular manslaughter following Utica crash
- Man charged with manslaughter in connection to Utica woman's death
- Westmoreland man facing criminal trespass charge
- State police continue to investigate 1972 homicide in Onondaga County
- State Police are investigating a homicide in Wayne County
- 2 Suspects Charged With Quadruple Homicide
- Man charged with manslaughter, DWI in crash that killed 1 person, injured another
- Otsego County man facing rape, criminal sexual act charges