FORESTPORT, NY – New York State Police are investigating a fatal boating crash on Otter Lake involving two children.
The crash occurred around 5:30 p.m. Monday in the area of 8 Sandy Point.
State Police say 12-year-old Kaden Eckrich of Madison died when he was ejected from a tube he was riding and struck a pontoon boat, causing "massive internal injuries." He was pronounced dead at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica.
Police say Kaden's father, 45-year-old Francis Eckrich of Madison, was driving the boat which was towing the tube "at a high rate of speed" when he encountered the pontoon boat anchored on the lake. Eckrich swerved to avoid the pontoon boat, and the sudden movement caused Kaden to be thrown from the tube.
Another child who was riding on the tube, an unidentified 12-year-old, was also ejected. That child was not injured.
The Madison Central School District posted a note on its website offering counseling to those affected by the passing of Kaden Eckrich:
"In light of the recent tragedy that occurred involving one of our Madison Family members, counselors will be available at school for students, parents and community members who are in need of someone to talk to. The counselors will be located in room 185 of the Science wing near the main office Tuesday July 10th and Wednesday July 11th from the hours of 11:00 am-2:00 pm and 5:00 pm-8:00 pm both days."
Both boats were towed to the Remsen State Police barracks Monday night for further investigation.
Troopers say the the incident is still under investigation. State Police were assisted at the scene by the Town of Webb Police Department and Otter Lake Fire Department.
- UPDATE: Police ID 12-year-old killed in Otter Lake boat crash
- Twelve-year-old killed in Otter lake boating accident
- Mug Club: Otter Lake Fire Department
- Harmful algae bloom found on Otter Lake
- Asthmatic otter masters inhaler
- UPDATE: Police ID New Hartford man killed in motorcycle crash
- UPDATE: Police ID Jordanville teen found in Canadarago Lake
- Police ID Utica man killed in Higby Road crash
- Police ID Utica man killed in crash involving motorized scooter
- UPDATE: Utica police ID man killed in Bleecker Street shooting