A recent audit of the Westmoreland Central School District found that the district didn’t apply for state aid when purchasing 18 new buses, which could have resulted in more than $1 million in state aid for the district, according to a report released by New York State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli’s office.
According to the report, the purpose of the audit was to determine whether or not the district applied for all the state aid it was entitled to for bus purchased between Jan. 1, 2008 and June 30, 2017. The audit found that district officials didn’t apply for state transportation aid within one year of purchasing 18 buses during that period.
The 18 buses were purchased throughout that period for a combined cost of approximately $1.6 million.
During the course of the state audit, the school district’s business manager submitted forms to receive the aid from the state Department of Education, and the district should be receiving about $1.3 million for those buses, beginning in the 2017-2018 fiscal year and lasting through 2021-2022.
DiNapoli is suggesting that the school district implement procedures that will ensure timely preparation and submission of transportation aid forms, and suggesting that the district’s business manager prepares an annual reconciliation of transportation aid they expect to receive and the actual aid they end up receiving.
The Westmoreland Central School District is located in the towns of Westmoreland, Whitestown and Vernon, and the city of Rome. There are approximately 950 students in the district, according to DiNapoli’s report, and the district’s budget for the 2016-2017 fiscal year was about $21.2 million.
- Westmoreland CSD applies for state aid late, will get reimbursement later
- Westmoreland CSD taxpayers express concern over proposed capital improvement project
- Westmoreland CSD residents to vote on capital project today
- Westmoreland Pool Fundraiser
- NEWSTALK: Halloween in Westmoreland
- Herkimer CSD welcomes another school resource officer
- Westmoreland residents receive KKK materials
- Westmoreland Masonic Lodge Open House
- Whitesboro CSD responds to alleged threat against high school
- Counseling available for Whitesboro CSD community following fatal Yorkville fire