ROME, N.Y. -- New York’s 50-mile drone corridor has been completed, and will now allow testing of unmanned aerial systems (UAS) from Rome to Syracuse.
With the infrastructure now in place, companies can test drones and generate data that will provide necessary information to the UAS industry and regulators, so they can begin to develop plans for commercial drone use.
The Tech Garden in downtown Syracuse, where the GENIUS NY UAS competition is held, will also be adding two floors to the existing facility. The expansion project was launched to support the targeted ‘Drone Zone,’ which will include dedicated spaces for UAS-related businesses that want to come to the region.
"The completion of the 50-mile drone corridor is a groundbreaking achievement that caps a key strategy laid out in our CNY Rising plan to make Central New York and the Mohawk Valley a global center for UAS testing and innovation,” said Gov. Andrew Cuomo. "Additionally, the Tech Garden expansion in Syracuse will further our efforts to draw forward-thinking industry entrepreneurs, including within the UAS industry, to the area ensuring the region continues to rise for decades to come."
Cuomo also hopes the completion of the corridor will support emerging uses of UAS in various industries, including agriculture and forest management, transportation and logistics, media and film development, utilities and infrastructure and public safety.
In November of 2016, the state invested $30 million in the 50-mile flight traffic management system between Syracuse and Griffiss International Airport in Rome.
- State completes 50-mile drone corridor stretching from Rome to Syracuse
- Syracuse airport completes 2-year, $62 million upgrade
- Movin' Mondays: Stretching
- Movin' Mondays Twisting Stretch
- Syracuse Vet Center offering services to veterans in Rome
- Rome man one of many arrested Thanksgiving Eve in Syracuse
- $21.9M project on Veterans Memorial Parkway in Rome now complete
- NY State Police launch statewide drone program
- How State Police will be using drones
- Movin' Mondays Chest and Leg Stretch