OTEGO, NY – The State Department of Agriculture has issued a consumer warning regarding raw milk in Otsego County.
The state says unpasteurized cow milk from the Muddy River Dairy in Otego has tested positive for a harmful Listeria monocytogene bacteria. If the milk is still in your refrigerator, you’re advised to dispose of it and contact the farm immediately at 607-988-0026.
The state says Muddy River Dairy is prohibited from selling raw milk until new test samples come back clear.
There have not been any reported illnesses due to this contaminated milk. Potential symptoms include high fever, severe headaches, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Listeriosis can even cause miscarriages or stillbirth in pregnant women.
- State issues warning about raw milk from Otsego County farm
- Officials warn of potentially tainted raw milk products
- Blizzard warning issued for Otsego County
- Infection linked to raw milk, NYS warns people about the dangers of unpasteurized dairy
- Travel advisories issued in Oneida, Otsego counties
- Otsego County 2018 goals
- Conditions in Otsego County
- Otsego County Sheriff's race
- Two dozen cows found dead on Otsego County farm
- Raw goat milk cheese from The Maiden's Creamery recalled due to Listeria