MANHEIM, N.Y. – State police are still looking for witnesses in a cold case from more than 40 years ago, where a man was murdered in the town of Manheim in Herkimer County.
Police say 37-year-old Charles A. Stahl was driving his Ford Bronco on Snells Bush Road on Nov. 8, 1977, stopping after he noticed some tree branches and debris blocking the road. Investigators believe Stahl was shot while sitting in his vehicle after he stopped.
Charles A. Stahl
Stahl’s father was traveling down Snells Bush Road, stopping when he saw his son’s Bronco in the middle of the road. When he realized his son was in the truck suffering from a gunshot wound, he immediately called 911.
Police say they have followed various leads related to Stahl’s death, but an arrest has never been made and the case remains open. Police ask anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact them at 315-366-6000.
- State police looking for witnesses in cold case murder from 1977
- DJ charged with murder in 1992 cold case
- Cold Case: Police search for new information on 1983 murder at New Hartford hotel
- Witnesses detail fatal afterparty in Ricky Woods murder trial
- Cold case cracked 43 years after police officer's death