Both sides were at odds over Section III's desire to switch from paying a set to officials for working games, ($85 plus a mileage reimbursement for one of every two officials in a crew) to a flat fee ($100) that would compensate all officials equally.
Since meeting last week, that issue has been resolved, but Section III turned down the officials proposal on Thursday because of additional demands.
"It sounds to me like the issue about the mileage and the fee has been resolved and they accepted the proposal," said Jim Magnarelli, the spokesperson for the officials. "The one thing that is contentious at this time was there were some demands made by the football officials. They were asking to get an extra official which 95% of the schools are already agreed to in previous years so quite frankly officials are not asking for very much."
"There are things that we definitely agreed to but they're adding things in concession that were never a part of the negotiations or arbitration discussion," said Section III Athletics Executive Director on why the proposal was turned down. "So all of a sudden they're pulling new things to add to that. We don't really have a problem with the fee that they're asking for but then they keep adding things to it."
Both sides are trying to resolve this contract dispute before the start of fall sports but have a difference
"We're positive that we can find a resolution," said Rathbun. "and that we don't have to use our students as a bargaining chip I think we all want to let our students play we would hate to take that away from them."
"The last thing we want to do is to not have officials for high school football contests, we do not want that," said Magnarelli. "We gotta give our officials something so that they don't feel disrespected and they'll want to continue to work."
- Still no contract resolution between Section III and its high school officials
- Section III, officials reach settlement in contract dispute
- 2017 Section III Football Tournament
- Section III Boys Lacrosse Tournaments
- Section III Girls Lacrosse Tournaments
- 2017 Section III Girls Soccer Tournament
- 2017 Section III Girls Field Hockey Tournament
- 2017 Section III Boys Soccer Tournament
- 2018 Section III Boys Ice Hockey Tournament
- 2018 Section III Boys Basketball Tournament