Maddie Phaneuf of Old Forge will no longer be competing in the women’s 15K individual biathlon in the Winter Olympics, the athlete announced on her Facebook page Wednesday morning.
Phaneuf, 22, said she woke up this morning with a scratchy throat and it turned out to be strep, which takes her out of the individual race on Thursday.
“Words cannot describe how upset I am, knowing how close I was to racing in my first Olympics,” Phaneuf wrote in the Facebook post. “I’m trying to keep my chin up, and hoping to recovery quickly!”
Phaneuf says there’s still a chance she may be able to race in the women’s relay later on.
Phaneuf was initially supposed to race in the women’s 15K individual biathlon at 6:05 a.m. local time on Wednesday, but the race was postponed to the following day due to high winds.
- Strep throat takes Maddie Phaneuf out of women's individual biathlon
- Maddie Phaneuf will likely not compete in women's relay biathlon
- Old Forge native Maddie Phaneuf to compete in biathlon Wednesday
- Old Forge welcomes home Maddie Phaneuf
- Old Forge native Maddie Phaneuf qualifies for U.S. Olympic Biathlon Team
- When to watch local Olympians Erin Hamlin, Maddie Phaneuf
- Maddie Phaneuf's Olympic race postponed due to weather
- Maddie Phaneuf to host community reception at McCauley Mountain on Sunday
- Changes being made to health services for disabled individuals
- UPD searching for individual possibly connected to Utica burglary