ROME, N.Y. – Students from John Hayes O’Neill Studio of Dance performed “The Nutcracker” for local students on Thursday, a tradition that has taken place in the city for three decades.
Stephen and Canan Jackson, owners of the dance studio, have put on “The Nutcracker” for 30 years, and say old students now bring their own children to participate in the performance.
“It's surreal for me. I grew up on this stage, I grew up with Steve and Canon, they were very close with my parents, my dad used to perform Mother Ginger when they performed that he was the grandfather,” said Megan Bice, who’s children will be performing in this weekend’s show.
Stephen says the show still carries the same magic it did when they first started performing it in Rome.
“Thirty years later and the community loves it and the kids love it, and we love doing at we just want to keep doing it,” he said.
People can see the 30th anniversary performances of “The Nutcracker” on Friday, Dec. 13 at 7 p.m., or Saturday, Dec. 14 at 2 p.m. at Rome’s Capitol Theatre, 220 W. Dominick St.
Tickets are available by calling 315-337-2920, at the Capitol box office and online at: www.jhodance.com.
- Studio to put on 30th anniversary performance of 'The Nutcracker' in Rome
- VIDEO: Sawyer Fredericks performs live in studio
- The Nutcracker Returns to the Rome Capitol Theatre
- Geppetto Studios moves to Utica
- Rome Chamber of Commerce awards businesses, nonprofits on 170th anniversary
- Kip Winger to perform at Rome's Capitol Theatre
- NewsTalk: Illusionist Leon Etienne Live in Studio!
- Mug Club: Dance 10 Studio Open House
- Comedians Marc Price, Mike Bova to perform tomorrow to benefit Rome Catholic
- Mohawk Valley Ballet's 'The Nutcracker' to hit the Stanley stage this weekend