SHERBURNE – A man is in critical condition after he allegedly robbed a gas station in Sherburne and then harmed himself, according to the Chenango County Sheriff’s Office.
Around 5:07 a.m. Monday, deputies were called to the Mirabito gas station at 84 N. Main St. in the village of Sherburne for a reported robbery. Deputies say the suspect, later identified as 34-year-old Timothy Adams, forcibly stole items and then threw hot coffee in the cashier’s face when he fled. He didn’t show a weapon during the robbery, but he appeared to have a large knife in a sheath on his waistband.
Later that day at 4:50 p.m., deputies and a K9 unit responded to a residence in Sherburne in an attempt to locate Adams. Deputies say just before they arrived, Adams attempted to harm himself with a knife and then fled on foot to a nearby overgrown field.
Sheriff's deputies, New York State Police and Sherburne police then searched the area, and the K9 tracked down Adams where he was lying face-down in the field. Law enforcement then administered lifesaving first aid to Adams until Sherburne EMS arrived.
Deputies say Adams is currently listed in critical condition at Wilson Memorial Hospital.
At the residence where they went to find Adams, deputies say they found several pieces of evidence from the robbery that had been destroyed.
When Adams is released from the hospital, he will be charged with second-degree robbery, second-degree assault, tampering with physical evidence, and possession of stolen property.
- Suspect in critical condition following Sherburne gas station robbery
- 27-year-old Sherburne man killed in Chenango County crash
- Minivan crashes through gas station window
- Police: Sherburne man killed in weekend crash was driving high, drunk
- Rome woman accused of robbing Sunoco gas station
- Gas station robber says he has a weapon, demands cash
- UPDATE: 21-year-old man in critical condition after Arterial crash
- Rome man in critical condition following motorcycle crash
- UPDATE: Woman in critical condition following crash in Sangerfield
- Man in critical condition after crash on Culver Ave.