UTICA, N.Y. – Brandon Clark, the man accused of killing a Utica teen last summer, pleaded guilty second-degree murder in Oneida County Court Monday.
The plea comes as part of an agreement with the district attorney's office dismissing his newest charge of promoting prison contraband in exchange for his guilty plea of second-degree murder and 25 years to life in prison.
The District Attorney's office said they were ready for a trial, but relieved that there won't be.
" We were prepared to go to trial. All I can say is that I am relieved that 12 jurors don't have to see what Brandon did to Bianca," said Assistant District Attorney Sarah Demillier.
The family also relieved, Bianca's grandfather Frank Williams made a statement following court.
"It would have been a very hard thing to have to go through that trial and we are very grateful that he has chosen to plead guilty," said Williams.
Clark, 21, also made a statement in court. Its the first time he's been heard speaking about the crime at length.
"Every day since July 14, I've thought about the terrible things that I did that day. Things that the word tragedy isn't really enough for. I've thought about the lives that I've torn apart with my actions. And I've thought about Bianca and how she didn't deserve what happened to her," said Brandon Clark.
Clark was arrested and charged with the murder of 17-year-old Bianca Devins in July of 2019. He originally pleaded not guilty.
The court has scheduled sentencing for April 6.
Police said Clark called 911 to report a murder-suicide on Boilermaker Sunday, after he had already killed Devins.
The 911 call Clark made was played during court a Huntley hearing in December.
"My name is Brandon, the victim is Bianca Michelle Devins," Clark said on the recorded call. "I'm not going to stay on the phone for long, because I still need to do the suicide part of the murder-suicide."
Photos of the slain girl were shared widely online after Clark posted them on social media.
- Suspect in death of Utica teen Bianca Devins pleads guilty to murder
- Man accused of killing Utica teen Bianca Devins pleads not guilty
- Homicide of Utica teen Bianca Devins: A timeline of events
- The Bee Gala honoring Bianca Devins held Saturday in Utica
- Family and friends hold candlelight vigil to remember Bianca Devins
- Courts still awaiting autopsy results in Bianca Devins case
- Adirondack Bank Center lit up in pink to honor Bianca Devins
- Bianca Devins' family remembers her on 18th birthday as Clark appears in court
- GTD 2018: Devin Collver
- Utica man pleads not guilty in teen homicide case