Syracuse, N.Y. - The Syracuse Mets, new Triple-A affiliate of the New York Mets, opened up their inaugural season in front of a crowd of 8,823 at NBT Bank Stadium, falling to the Pawtucket Red Sox 6-3 in ten innings, Thursday.
Tim Tebow, former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL quarterback, made his AAA debut going 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
After 4 1/2 scoreless innings, the Red Sox got the scoring going in the tip of the fifth when Mike Miller hit a two-run home run down the right-field line to give Pawtucket at 2-0 lead.
The Mets answered back with a run of their own in the bottom half of the inning. After Adeiny Hechavarria doubled down the left-field line, a wild pitch allowed him to advance to third base. David Thompson grounded out to shortstop, but Hechavarria scored on the play to bring Syracuse within one.
In the bottom of the sixth, with runners at first and second, Travis Taijeron doubled with a liner into the left-center field gap, scoring both Danny Espinosa and Rajai Davis, putting the Mets on top 3-2.
Michael Chavis tied the game in the top of the eighth, with a home run over the left-field wall. That would force extra innings.
In the top of the tenth, Pawtucket had the bases loaded for Tony Renda. He lined a double to left-center, clearing the bases and putting the Sox back up 6-3.
The two teams meet again for three more games in the opening series beginning on Friday afternoon at 1:05 p.m.
RHP Corey Oswalt is expected to get the start for the Mets, while RHP Chandler Shepherd has the scheduled start for the Red Sox.
- Syracuse Mets drop opener to Pawtucket Red Sox 6-3 in extras, Tim Tebow goes 0-for-4 in AAA debut
- Tim Tebow reassigned to Syracuse Mets
- AAA team Syracuse Mets to play in Syracuse through 2043
- Syracuse Mets outlast PawSox in series finale
- Thousands of fans help Syracuse Mets kick off 2019 season
- Former Syracuse All-American Tim Green says he has ALS
- No. 22 Syracuse, back issues ruins Freeze's debut, 24-0
- Tebow out for the rest of the season
- Syracuse red-shirt freshman Moyer to transfer
- Mets make pit stop in Syracuse for Spring Training workout at Carrier Dome