SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- The Syracuse Mets began their 2019 season Thursday - their first year as the AAA affiliate of the New York Mets.
The buzz at NBT Bank Stadium was electric as thousands of fans filled the seats to watch the Syracuse Mets take the field for the first time.
Despite the cold temperatures, the crowd was impressive, traffic went for miles, but fans say it was worth it to spend a day at the ball park!
Tim Tebow got a majority of the attention, and it was a competitive game.
The past few years, the Washington Nationals was the parent club, but now it’s the New York Mets, which fans say makes a huge difference.
“The management is just doing such a great job with the promotions and getting people packed into the stadium,” said Westbrook Shortell, a fan.
Thursday’s official attendance was 8,823, which doesn’t quite break any record, but it’s a great start for a new era at the stadium.
- Thousands of fans help Syracuse Mets kick off 2019 season
- AAA team Syracuse Mets to play in Syracuse through 2043
- Tim Tebow reassigned to Syracuse Mets
- Syracuse Mets outlast PawSox in series finale
- Rome's downtown farmers market kicks off for 2019 season
- Mets make pit stop in Syracuse for Spring Training workout at Carrier Dome
- Syracuse Mets celebrate The Fourth of July with 12,063 of its closest friends
- Comets fans look forward to the season
- Syracuse Mets drop opener to Pawtucket Red Sox 6-3 in extras, Tim Tebow goes 0-for-4 in AAA debut
- Top ranked Duke beats Syracuse