Photo Gallery 1 Images
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - Syracuse quarterback Rex Culpepper is cancer-free.
The redshirt sophomore says he broke down and cried when he received the news a week ago at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida.
Culpepper was diagnosed after spring break and underwent 100 hours of chemotherapy. He says when they took out his IV it was magical, and he doesn't have to return for annual follow-up scans.
Now the focus turns to getting back in top shape by the time preseason camp opens in August.
Culpepper, who had one start last year, wasn't on the two-deep depth chart for spring and likely won't be at the start of summer camp. But he'll be in the mix behind senior Eric Dungey and redshirt freshman Tommy DeVito.
- Syracuse QB Rex Culpepper cancer-free; ready to return
- Syracuse beats Florida State 30-7 behind backup QB
- Syracuse hopeful senior QB Eric Dungey can play at BC
- Syracuse PG Tiana Mangakahia announces she has breast cancer
- Syracuse's Mangakahia remaining positive, persevering through breast cancer fight
- Boeheim returns to Syracuse bench after fatal accident
- Zion Williamson returns as Syracuse faces Duke in ACC Tournament
- AAA team Syracuse Mets to play in Syracuse through 2043
- Top ranked Duke beats Syracuse