SULLIVAN, N.Y. -- A Syracuse man was arrested after police say he was allegedly involved in an attempted-murder investigation Thursday, March 19.
At 7:29 a.m., a victim reported to 911 that she and her daughter had been stabbed at their residence on Bolivar Road in the Town of Sullivan and that the suspect fled on foot.
The suspect in custody was later identified as Gilberto Lopez, 36, of Syracuse.
Law enforcement spoke with the victims and found that the woman who called 911 left her residence and went into her vehicle waiting for her adult daughter. When her daughter left the home, a male acquaintance of the daughter came out from under the stairs and started stabbing the daughter to her head, shoulder and arms.
The mother left the vehicle and was then stabbed by the suspect two times to her head. The daughter ran over to her mother where she started to kick and hit the suspect to help her mother. The suspect stopped attacking the two women, took the daughter’s purse, and ran from the scene.
Law enforcement arrived in the area and saw the suspect running through a field behind the victim’s home. After a search of the area, the suspect was apprehended near Lakeport Road by New York State Police.
The two victims were taken to Upstate University Hospital where both were treated for non-life threatening injuries. Lopez is charged with attempted murder, robbery, assault, criminal possession of a weapon, and petit larceny.
Lopez was held at the Madison County Jail to await arraignment on March 20.
- Syracuse man allegedly stabs two women in head, arms
- Syracuse man shot after allegedly charging police officers with hatchet
- Two victims in stabbing at Syracuse mall
- Syracuse police officer shoots man who stabbed him in neck
- Ava woman allegedly bites, stabs victim
- Utica man allegedly stabbed grandmother, then lit her on fire
- 11-seed Syracuse headed to Sweet 16 after beating Michigan State
- Syracuse women making slow strides on the basketball court
- Engstler scores 17, No. 18 Syracuse women whip Pitt 90-63
- AAA team Syracuse Mets to play in Syracuse through 2043