SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - Syracuse football coach Dino Babers relishes the start of preseason practice, calls it his favorite time of year.
So why did he miss the first two days? As he would say: Familia!
His mom, Patsy Ann, was celebrating her 80th birthday on Saturday and Babers wanted to be there to surprise her. So he asked the team for permission to make the trip to California.
He hadn't been there for that special day in 40 years because of where it falls on the calendar.
"My family and my mom understand that this is my job and on that date I'm in camp and I'm doing things," Babers said. "For the football team to give me an opportunity to go back and celebrate that day with her and my family, I really do appreciate it."
The 58-year-old Babers has been involved in the game since 1979, his first season in college at Hawaii.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Syracuse's Dino Babers surprises mom on 80th birthday
- Dino Babers signs long-term contract with Syracuse
- Focus for Syracuse's Dino Babers: prove last year no fluke
- Wildhack: Babers to stick with Syracuse football well into 2020's
- #MadeInUtica celebrates a birthday
- Tenney surprises Rome woman with card signed by Trumps for 105th birthday
- AAA team Syracuse Mets to play in Syracuse through 2043
- Top ranked Duke beats Syracuse
- Happy 96th Birthday, Betty White!
- Cooperstown woman celebrates 102nd birthday