Despite what the calendar says, winter is coming early to Central New York. The first widespread accumulating snow is expected to arrive on Thursday across the region. This isn't early for the first snowfall in our area, but the consistent cold weather to follow is early for our area. Let's start with the impact of Thursday's snowfall.
- Timing - Rain begins Thursday morning. Rain turns to snow Thursday afternoon. Widespread, steady snow by evening, ending before midnight.
- Impact - No weather issues for the morning commute. Snow could cause a few slippery spots for the drive home, especially along the higher elevations.
- Accumulation - A general coating to 2" of accumulation is expected across the lower elevations. The higher elevations are expected to see 2-4".
Lake effect snow is expected on Friday, with the majority of accumulation falling west of our area. Windy and cold weather settles in, with highs only in the low 30s. A hard freeze is expected Friday night, with overnight lows in the upper teens and low 20s.
- The first widespread snow of the season expected Thursday
- Widespread light snow returns
- First widespread snow of the season covers local region
- Accumulating snow expected Friday
- The first widespread frost of the season
- Earlier flu season expected
- Snow returns Thursday night
- Snow and ice expected Friday
- Snow, snow, snow
- First widespread frost Friday night