The first winter storm of the season will arrive Monday night. Low pressure developing in the midwest will swing through Upstate New York and bring widespread snow to the region. This type of weather event is called a clipper system, because it spends time over land and not water (like a nor'easter). These types of storms are notorious for bringing lake effect snow to the region. We will see widespread snow on the front end and lake effect snow as the storm departs. Here are some of the highlights:
1) Snow develops Monday night, just before midnight. Snow becomes steadier overnight through Tuesday morning.
2) Snow tapers off in and south of the Mohawk Valley Tuesday afternoon
3) A cold front brings a burst of snow to the region in the early afternoon
4) Lake effect snow develops and becomes heavy Tuesday night and early Wednesday
A few important things to point out for the first part of this event. First, the snow will fall much heavier along south facing hilltops north of the Mohawk Valley. Two to three times as much snow is expected in these areas through Tuesday evening compared to the Mohawk Valley and remainder of the area. Second, the storm will taper off in the late morning and early afternoon for most of the area (with the exception of the North Country). Here's a look at part one of the storm:
The second part of the storm begins with an arctic front that rolls through as the storm departs. A burst of snow is expected, followed by the development of lake effect snow. The back end of this event could very well bring more snow than the front end for parts of the area (especially west of Utica). The lake effect snow will continue Wednesday, Wednesday night, even into early Thursday. Here's a look at the lake effect forecast for the second part of this storm:
But wait, there's more! We're expecting much colder weather here on Wednesday, with windy conditions. Highs are only expected to be in the upper teens, and with a 20-25mph wind, it will feel like single digits to near zero most of the day. Bundle up! Cold weather contines on Thursday before the weather starts to warm up by Friday.
- The first winter storm of the season
- First winter storm of the season
- Winter Storm Wednesday
- Winter storm expected Friday...
- Round 1 of first winter storm of the season arrives
- NYSDOT prepares for winter storm
- Make driving less stressful this winter season
- Proctor winter ball postponed as winter storm approaches
- Winter storm affecting travel along east coast