HERKIMER, N.Y. - The project to reconstruct a portion of Travis Road in Herkimer County is expected to start this Spring.
Last year, Herkimer County Legislators approved a project to reconstruct a road affecting the town of Danube and the town of Stark.
Despite opposition from some residents who live on Travis Road, both town supervisors say this portion of the road is in bad shape and it needs to be repaired.
The town of Stark's town supervisor, Richard Bronner, said "The town of Stark is on board with the project for Travis Road in the town of Stark from State Route 168 to the town of Stark town line. The town board and the town highway department believes it is in the best interest of the town and its residents, at the time, to proceed with the project."
The town of Danube's town supervisor, Frank Brown, said "The town of Danube town board unanimously supports the Herkimer County project improvements to Travis Road."
The $1.2 million project will reconstruct a portion of Travis Road from Johnnycake Road to State Route 168.
The highway superintendent says even though the road is a low volume road in New York State standards, it is a liability for Herkimer County.
"We want to bring it up to current standards and current widths, and here again that's why we have to widen the road and cut some trees and things like that which some of the residents are opposed to," Mark Nagele, Herkimer County Highway Superintendent said. "I think there's residents out there that are in support of the project as well as many town officials who you don't see come in to these meetings."
Nagele says right now the highway department is working on the final plans for the project and once everything is finalized, he expects construction to start sometime in May or early June, depending on the weather.
- Reconstruction of Travis Road in Herkimer County expected to start this spring
- Icy roads expected Monday night
- Proposed road project will affect two towns in Herkimer County
- Developments for a proposed road project in Herkimer County
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- Water rescue in Herkimer County
- Animal trouble in Herkimer County
- A snowy start to spring in Cooperstown
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College
- Herkimer Mayor to the Herkimer County IDA : "Take responsibility"