UTICA, N.Y - One of Utica's favorite dishes was celebrated Saturday. Thousands walked through the doors of the Parkway Center in Utica for Tomato Pie Day.
Dozens of vendors offered their own unique take on Tomato Pie. Vendors said getting the perfect recipe is a challenge.
"In the beginning, its trial and error, getting the sauce right, and getting the crispness out of the crust, so important," said Steve Brooks from Chanatry's.
This year was the first year that Chantry's entered into the competition.
Utica Mayor Robert Palmieri was one of the Judges that each vendor to see who had the best Tomato Pie.
"This is the first time we've entered in to the competition. So we know that their are great tomato pies in this area that's known for this," said Robert Palmieri.
Each vendor offered up free samples of their pie as well as a full pie that you could buy. It wasn't just Tomato pie that was being offered in the Parkway Center.
Vendors selling Gellato, Popcorn, as well as sausage and meatballs.
Event organizers say that this year's Tomato pie day looked to be the largest on record.
Winners for the event:
Best Crust- Charlie's It's a Utica Thing
Best sauce- Napoli's
Most Original- Oliveri's
3. Utica Bread
- Thousands attend Tomato Pie day in Utica
- Utica celebrates Tomato Pie Day
- Newstalk:Tomato Pie Day
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Fresh Tomato Pie recipe
- Everything you need to know about this year's Tomato Pie Day in Utica
- New Hartford native Matt Abdoo talks tomato pie on Today Show
- McDonald's changes apple pie recipe
- NEWSTALK: 'A Bad Year for Tomatoes'
- Utica Rescue Mission preparing to serve thousands
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Apple Maple Crumble Pie