VERNON, N.Y. - Despite the rain, thousands of racing fans enjoyed opening day at Vernon Downs.
Opening day is like a family reunion for many fans, and spending opening day at Vernon Downs is a tradition.
"It's exciting, free gifts on opening day and you get to see the horses come up," Jim Mckinnon, a racing fan said. "Pick your lucky number, hopefully they win, wish the best to all the runners that they all get a chance to win."
Some fans have been coming to opening day since they were young kids.
"I've been coming here since I was a little girl," Mary Leggett, a long time racing fan said. "I've lived local all my life and I've been coming here for many years, I used to come with my grandparents."
Other fans say there is more to enjoy then just the races.
"They got good horses, inexpensive entertainment, and a chance maybe to win a few dollars or more, if not we lose a few dollars," Richard Anderson, a local racing fan said.
If you missed opening day, you have plenty of time left to enjoy all Vernon Downs has to offer.
- Thousands of people come out for opening day at Vernon Downs
- Hundreds gather at Vernon Downs for opening night
- Vernon Downs prepares for upcoming racing season
- UPDATE: Town of Vernon denies permit to hold Woodstock 50 at Vernon Downs
- Vernon Downs details highlights of upcoming racing season
- Vernon Downs in the running for Woodstock 50 venue
- Griffo weighs in on Vernon Downs-Woodstock 50 filing
- Vernon Downs officials try to answer residents concerns about Woodstock
- Fire at Vernon Downs Casino & Hotel electrical in nature
- Vernon teen to perform in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade