A cold front will approach the region this afternoon and evening, bringing along with it showers and thunderstorms. First round of showers move through this morning, with a break in the action during the early afternoon. If we see some sunshine, that will help fuel the atmosphere as the cold front moves into the area. Unlike yesterday, there is a well defined trigger to help thunderstorms develop.
Pretty much all of New York State is under a slight risk for severe weather this afternoon and evening. The biggest threat looks to be damaging winds as well as frequent lightning and small hail. The timing for thunderstorms looks to be between 4PM-9PM.
Outside of the thunderstorms, a Wind Advisory has been issued from Friday evening until early Saturday morning for all of Central NY. Winds pick up behind the cold front, with speeds between 15-30mph, gusts near 40mph. If you brought out your lawn furniture, you may want to bring it in or tie it down for tonight.
- Thunderstorms Friday Afternoon and Evening
- Strong Thunderstorms Possible Thursday Afternoon and Evening
- Tracking thunderstorms Friday
- Thunderstorm forecast changes Friday night football kickoffs
- Thunderstorms expected Wednesday
- Strong to Severe Storms Possible This Afternoon and Evening
- Severe thunderstorm watch in effect
- Afternoon storm update
- Severe Thunderstorm hits the towns of Madison and Bouckville
- An evening of Asian culture