Marshall, N.Y. - Deansboro Fire Chief Chris Steinmann says a 911 call came in at 6:48 a.m. Sunday morning for the report of a barn fire on Brothertown Rd. in Marshall, but it turned out to be a house fire, and when he arrived three minutes later, he says a husband and son were in the doorway of the burning home, but couldn't get inside to save their wife and mother inside.
Steinmann says that woman, whose name is not yet being released, died inside the home. "Upon arrival, I have seen two of the occupants trying to get their mother and wife out of the house with the first story fully involved at that time. They were just trying to gain access, they were just in the doorway hanging in the window trying to get in there."
Steinmann says firefighters couldn't get inside because the structure was fully engulfed in flames, "We could only get in about 3 to 4 feet until the water got here. It was the best we could do. The husband is being treated for burns and smoke inhalation and the wife did not make it."
Being such a rural area, water had to be pumped in from a creek about 4 miles away.
Steinmann says the turnout from other neighboring fire departments, including Vernon Center, Oriskany Falls and Waterville was amazing, "There was such a turnout of firefighters here, it’s a brotherhood that really showed itself today."
Steinmann says counselors were being made available for any firefighters that may need to talk to someone, as is always the case after fighting a fatal fire.
The Red Cross was also on scene to assist the family.
Steinmann says the only thing known right now about the fire itself is that it started somewhere on the first floor.
The Oneida County Sheriff's Department is assisting in the investigation.