UTICA, N.Y. -- A trial date was set for the Rome mother charged in the death of her 6-month-old daughter.
Brooke Renzi was in Oneida County Court for a hearing Wednesday.
Police testified about statements Renzi made when the baby died in August. One officer, who responded at 11:38 a.m., went to school with Renzi.
“I asked her what had really happened, what is going on here. Catch me up to speed. She brought me into the child's bedroom, ‘I put Elaina to bed right here.’ She showed me on the bed in the middle. ‘Right here, this is where she was sleeping. When I found her this morning, she was off to the side, wrapped in this blanket,’” said Patrolwoman Alexis Perry. “Brooke said to me, ‘nine, nine was the last time I saw her.’ I said, ‘9 a.m. this morning?’ and she said 'no, 9 p.m. the night before.’”
The judge, at a later date, will determine if the statements she made to police can be used at trial.
Renzi, and the baby's father – Derek Dyer – are both charged with criminally negligent homicide. They will be tried together starting October 28.
- Trial date set for Rome woman charged in daughter's death
- Rome couple charged in infant daughter's death
- Trial date set for Rome murder suspect Robert Coffin
- Rome father charged in daughter's death back in court Monday
- Case dismissed against Rome father charged with infant daughter's death
- Trial date set for Utica woman accused of stabbing her mother to death
- Trial date set for woman accused of stabbing her mother to death
- Trial date set for Rome teacher accused of excessively disciplining students
- Rome parents, accused in daughter's death, offered plea deal
- Rome man accused in daughter's death back in court Tuesday