UPDATE -- A state trooper was killed Tuesday morning after his car was rear-ended and pushed into oncoming traffic in Fultonville.
It happened on Route 5S, where Trooper Jeremy VanNostrand was reporting to work at the Fonda barracks.
State police say VanNostrand was stopped in traffic Tuesday morning around 7:45 a.m., waiting to turn into the barracks parking lot, when his vehicle was rear-ended by a box truck and pushed into oncoming traffic where it collided with an oncoming pickup truck.
The driver of the box truck has been identified as 32-year-old Aaron M. Munsie of Amsterdam. Police say he was not injured.
The driver of the pickup truck has been identified as 52-year-old Robert E. Crews of Fort Plain. He was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital with injuries police do not believe to be life threatening.
VanNorstrand was transported to Albany Medical Center where he succumbed to his injuries.
"The state police is a large organization, but it is a family and we all take these deaths very personally. This is a true tragedy,” said New York State Police Superintendent George Beach.
Officials say VanNostrand had served with the New York State Police since 2012 - making him a 6-year veteran of the force. He had previously served in the Hudson Valley before making his way to the Capital Region.
Prior to becoming a state trooper, he served as a New York state correctional officer for 8 years.
VanNostrand is survived by his wife, daughter, his parents and siblings.
State police say weather does not appear to be a factor in the crash and no tickets have been issued. The investigation into the crash is ongoing.
FULTONVILLE, N.Y. -- A state trooper was seriously injured on Route 5S in Fultonville.
State police say the trooper was stopped in traffic Tuesday morning, waiting to turn into the Fonda barracks, when his vehicle was rear-ended and pushed into oncoming traffic.
The officer sustained serious injuries and is being treated at Albany Medical Center.
NewsChannel 2 will have more information as soon as it becomes available.
- UPDATE: Trooper killed in Montgomery County crash
- Funeral arrangements made for Montgomery County trooper killed in crash
- Trooper killed in Montgomery County crash posthumously promoted to sergeant
- UPDATE: Troopers investigating Amish buggy vs. vehicle crash in Newport
- Official: New York state trooper, suspect killed
- UPDATE: Police identify Lowville woman killed in Lewis County crash
- Police: Principal who killed NY trooper had 8 assault rifles
- UPDATE: Police ID New Hartford man killed in motorcycle crash
- UPDATE: Syracuse man killed in Verona Thruway crash
- UPDATE: Dog killed in 2-vehicle crash on Seneca Turnpike