Rome - The 2018 trout fishing season is open. Although fishing conditions aren't the best during the early season, it will improve as the weather warms. Improved water quality has led to a rise in trout abundance across the state. The DEC's spring stockings will include 1.72 million brown trout, 377-thousand rainbow trout, and 158-thousand brook trout.
We stopped at the Rome Fish Hatchery and spoke with Manager Scott Wanner, to see how much fish actually stay in our area.
“So out of the 650,000 they all get stocked and then 325,000 are in your local. these are brown trout, that are in your local streams. Oriskany Creek, Saquoit Creek, the Mohawk River, West Canada are kinda some of the hot spots in our local area to fish,” says Wanner.
These fish will help make the angling experience more enjoyable for the estimated 647,000 anglers in New York State.
- Trout season is underway
- Apple season underway in New York State
- Poland students raise trout to study, then release in Cold Brook stream
- Conley Retrial: Jury selection underway
- Chenango Ave Bridge construction underway
- Downtown Getdown underway in Utica
- Annual Oktoberfest underway in Cooperstown
- Infant death investigation underway in Marshall
- St. Patrick's Day Parade underway in Utica
- Construction work underway at Utica Public Library