GERMAN FLATTS, N.Y. -- One driver is dead following a Thruway crash Tuesday in Herkimer County, involving two tractor-trailers.
James Campitelli, from New Jersey, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The crash happened just before 7:30 a.m. on Interstate 90 eastbound in the town of German Flatts.
State police say that a truck driven by Terrace Sias, of Syracuse, experienced a mechanical issues and became disabled in the right lane. And then the tractor-trailer driven by Campitelli hit the disabled truck from behind.
Sias was taken to St. Elizabeth's Hospital for injuries not considered to be life-threatening.
The right lane remained closed for several hours following the crash, but all lanes are back open as normal now.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Truck driver dead following Thruway crash in German Flatts
- German Flatts meeting much more peaceful
- 1 person hurt in German Flatts accident
- State police seize 5 semi-automatic pistols during Thruway traffic stop in German Flatts
- Peter Rovazzi wins unofficial vote for German Flatts town supervisor
- Tensions rise between German Flatts town board and new supervisor
- UPDATE: State Route 5S reopened in German Flatts
- Rabid raccoon found in German Flatts; unvaccinated dog now quarantined
- State police investigating alleged assault at German Flatts house party
- Comptroller report: German Flatts is in 'significant fiscal stress'