UTICA – Two Utica police officers were honored Thursday, during the annual 'Police Officer of the Year' awards.
For nearly 50 years, the American Legion Post 229 in Utica holds a dinner, and ceremony, to recognize local police officers for their hard work and bravery.
Taking illegal guns off the street, and saving a shooting victim's life, are two actions that garnered the officers recognition.
Officer Aaron Llewellyn responded to a shots fired call when he spotted a man bleeding profusely from his leg. The officer applied first aid and a tourniquet that doctors later said saved the victim's life.
“Up to this point in my career it's got to be a pinnacle,” Llewellyn said. “Anything that's happened so far for me, it's amazing to get recognized. 160 other members of our department, just to say the thousands of calls that we take care of, something around 60,000. I would take a year that this is one of the recognized in this individual incident, seemed important enough to get this kind of award. It’s amazing.”
Investigator Aaron Donaldson helped to recover 99 guns and 92 firearm arrests, as a part of gun involved violence elimination program.
“It means a lot to me to be selected from the entire Utica police department,” Donaldson said. “There's a lot of well deserving officers, investigators in command, staff that deserve it as well. But it means a lot to be selected by this group of individuals.”
Both officers were also given proclamations from the city to recognize their work.
- Two Utica Police officers honored by American Legion Post 229
- American Legion Post 1118 honored a local boy for rescuing his brother from Poland fire
- Mug Club: Clonan American Legion Auxiliary Craft Fair
- Utica Police promote two officers
- Utica police officer charged with DWI
- Feed Our Vets gets $1,000 check from New Hartford American Legion
- Police find 'inactive' pipe bomb outside Buffalo post office
- Utica welcomes 22 new American citizens
- Utica College honors veterans with tribute concert
- Statue honors four historic Utica hockey players