WESTMORELAND – The blueberry bushes are full and ready to be picked at North Star Orchards, located on Route 233 in Westmoreland.
U-Pick Blueberries began Wednesday at North Star Orchards, and people were lined up to start picking before they even opened.
The hot, dry weather we’ve been having lately has had an effect on the berry crop – but not necessarily a bad one.
“So actually this year, without the rain, the blueberries aren't going to get too big, but at the same time, they're going to be sweeter this year, because it's dryer, so they're putting a little more energy into the berries,” said Michael Joseph of North Star Orchards.
While most people head straight for the bushes closest to the parking lot, you should head to the faraway ones that require some walking for the thick pickings.
- U-Pick Blueberries begins at North Star Orchards
- Clinton U-Pick blueberries by appointment
- No charges for woman involved in Orchard Street hazmat case
- New beginnings, new names
- Jury begins deliberating Conley's fate
- Local restaurant begins accepting Bitcoin
- Walk with the mayor begins
- Green waste pick-up under scrutiny
- Trump to announce SCOTUS pick next week
- Mug Club: Christmas Star Bazaar