UFD: Cell phone charger started Utica fire that displaced 4

A family of four has been displaced by a fire on Conkling Avenue in Utica Tuesday morning.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 3:46 PM
Updated: Jan 23, 2018 4:30 PM

A family of four has been displaced by a fire on Conkling Avenue in Utica Tuesday morning.

Utica Fire Department officials say the fire broke out at the two-family house around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, and the fire began on the second floor of the home.

Fire officials say the fire was ruled to be accidental, and it was caused by a worn out cell phone charger that was laying across a bed. Officials say the charger was not defective, just worn out.

The local American Red Cross provided financial assistance for necessities such as shelter, food and clothing for two adults and two children, ages six and nine. Officials say the four people displaced by the fire lived in the upstairs apartment, and the apartment on the first floor was not occupied.

Article Comments

Utica
Overcast
67° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 61°
Feels Like: 67°
Oneonta
Overcast
63° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 60°
Feels Like: 63°
Herkimer
Overcast
67° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 61°
Feels Like: 67°
Thendara
Overcast
67° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 67°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
Click here to learn more about A Healthier Mohawk Valley
Less that 50 Golf Cards left ... only $79.99 for 28 courses
Great California Adventure with Callihan Marshall
Enter daily to win a different prize each day!