VERNON CENTER, N.Y. (UPDATE) -- The two young girls who were rushed to the hospital late Sunday after an explosion in Vernon Center were released Tuesday night.
The 21-year-old mother remains in the hospital Wednesday morning, and is expected to undergo surgery. Their burn injuries are consideered non-life-threatening. The mother could be released as soon as next week.
They lived in a mobile home at the Quiet Valley Trailer Park. The mother, along with her three and five year old girls were admitted to the burn unit Sunday at Upstate Medical Center, in Syracuse.
The explosion at the home, was so powerful, it caused damage to the trailers around it.
State fire crews were on the scene earlier this week, combing through the wreckage to try and find a cause.
So far, fire officials seem to think it happened in the kitchen area, and appears to be accidental.
Vernon Center's Fire Chief Peter Ropetski, says that the propane tanks have been ruled out as the cause. They were pushed away during the time of the fire. But state fire officials are still investigating the presence of propane inside of the home.
The extensive damage to one of the nearby homes, where the family's grandmother lived, has deemed it not liveable.